Friday, March 26, 2010

Salsa, Hummus & Strangers.

So, back in 2007, I chose to run the 30th Annual Chicago Marathon. It was the WORST running experience of my life. I finished, in 5+ hours, after having set a goal of finishing in 3:40 or under. It was a death march, and literally hell on earth...

Well it just so happens that the cotton long-sleeve shirt from this race is one of my absolute favorites. It was a little chilly today on my easy 3 miler, so I threw on my Chicago Marathon shirt, and headed out the door. After my run, I decided to run some errands, I hauled my recyclables to the recycling center, and then popped into Trader Joe's to grab a few things.

After I parked my car in the Trader Joe's parking lot, and began to walk into the store, I noticed an SUV with 3 white oval stickers depicting the following: 26.2, BT50K, and JFK 50. I thought 'Whoa! There are some serious runners snagging some groceries inside!' As soon as I entered the store, I didn't give this car, or its potential owners a second thought, because I was mesmerized by all of the beautiful produce sprawled in front of me.

After filling up my cart with my favorite fruits and veggies, I began walking through the aisles of the store, and I passed a VERY fit looking couple. I knew instantly that they were the owners of the vehicle that caught my eye. For some reason I felt like they were staring at me, which made me very uncomfortable, so I grabbed my salsa and hummus and scurried off to the next aisle, where I eventually crossed their path again. UGH!!! I was kind of freaked out, because they were STILL staring at me!!! Finally, they mustered up the courage to ask me if I ran Chicago in 2007, the year it was hell on earth, as they motioned to my t-shirt. I immediately relaxed and smiled, and had a wonderful conversation with the lovely couple, before we parted ways and resumed our shopping excursion.

Isn't it funny how things happen in this world? I chose to run a race 3 years ago, and today I chose to wear the t-shirt from this race, and then out of all of the grocery stores in northeast Ohio, I chose to stop by Trader Joe's, at the same time as these total strangers, who ended up being peers of mine in the wonderful running community. Awesome!


No comments:

Post a Comment